Thursday 5 July 2001

I photograph Ólafsvík at 1:30am & try the tölt

Iceland isn't quite the land of the midnight sun right now - the sun in theory sets just before midnight and disappears for about 4 hours. In practice it is barely below the horizon so it doesn't really get dark. Last night/this morning I went for a walk up to the waterfall above Ólafsvík and took a photo of the town at around 1:30am - the picture's a little bit blurred but amazing for the time of night.
This morning we went on another boat trip from Stykkishólmur but more for birds - no whales - then headed back to Reykjavik. My flight home isn't until tomorrow morning so I arranged to go horse-riding this afternoon. Some but not all Icelandic horses have a fifth gait, the tölt, so I specifically asked for such a mount. I'm not sure whether I did experience the tölt or not - it just felt as though my horse was trotting very fast and like I might fall off at any moment!